Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A Living Legend Retires

So the Natural has had enough. At Forty-two years old I guess he's earned that right. What an amazing career. Not just the recent battles with Chuck Lidell, or the fact that he's been the World Champion twice in two different weight classes, but just the way he carried himself. He was a class act through and through. While some of the younger guys (i.e. Nick Diaz) talk all kinds of shit about their opponents, Randy never did. He was confident but never cocky. He would wink at his oppenent and shake their hand before the fight, and then give them a respectful embrace after the match was over.
I actually had the good fortunes to meet Randy on my last trip to Las Vegas. I was in town to watch the UFC 54 in which he was going to fight Mike Van Arsdale. The night before the fights me and my buddies went and watched George Carlin (hilarious). When we got back to our hotel we noticed a black, UFC edition Hummer H2 sitting out front. Who other than Mr. Couture himself comes walking out of the hotel. We all said hello and told him to "kick Van Arsdale's ass". He shook all of our hands and I believe my buddies got some pictures takin with him (I'm not positive, this was after many Heinekens). I remember on the way to our rooms how we all talked about what a class act he is.
Thank you Randy Couture.

1 comment:

Gus said...

good thing you mentioned the UFC half way through, or even I would have had trouble knowing what the fuck you are talking about. And I actually know who the guy is.