Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Sin City Here I Come (part one in an epic two-part mini-series)

So a couple of months ago my step-sister Jill, got a new job with an Interior Design firm down in Las Vegas. Beforehand she was working in the L-town, for a local Interior Decorator. This past weekend her boyfriend, TJ, moved down there. I had the pleasure of going with him. We were scheduled to take off from Longview on Thursday morning. I arrived at TJ's place at about 9 on Thursday to see that he wasn't done packing yet. After a couple more hours of packing he decided that he was going to tow his 1966 Volkswagen bus behind the rental truck. This added about two hours to our leaving time and in the end somewhere between six and eight hours of drive time. So we stop back by the local Budget truck depot and pick up a trailer. TJ also added me as a driver of the truck while we were there. Awesome. After Suzy the garden gnome finished filling out our paperwork and us hooking the trailer up to the truck, we were off back to TJ's for the bus. We got that loaded up and we were off. Well after a quick stop to talk to the coach. We drove down I-5 for about seven and a half hours finally stopping for the night in beautiful Ashland, Oregon. We checked into a hotel and watched a little Sportscenter before dozing off. Beforehand we agreed that we would be up early to hit the road as we figured there was probably about 12-14 hours left of driving. Jill woke us up with a phone call. Needless to say, we did not get an early start. We headed back out on I-5 about 9:30 that morning. We drove for a couple of hours before stopping for breakfast in Northern California. I figured that since we were heading to Vegas, we should be big-ballin and all so I enjoyed some Crystal with my Break-
fast. I can see why all the rappers love this stuff. It was good. Fo Shizzle.
After Breakfast we headed back out onto I-5 for the most boring stretch of the trip. I mean there are just so many fields, orchards, and fields that you can look at. Northern California is damn boring for driving.
We were supposed to hit a junction that would've have ran us right through Bakersfield on our way to Vegas. We missed it. So we ended up in Buttonwillow, California. Worst. Place. Ever.
We were hungry so we decided on some tasty Carl's Jr. for dinner. We ordered our meals and were told that our food we be ready soon.
"Ninety-two" the manager calls out about ten minutes later. Since we were given no order number, we should have known that a Guacamole Bacon Burger meal and a Spicy Chicken Sandwich meal is a 92 in fabulous Buttonwillow. The manager called out 92 about four more times before she finally got pissed and screamed out "#8 and a Spicy chicken meal". TJ grabs our food while we can hear the trollish manager saying "I called out 92 like five times!" Well that doesn't really work if you don't tell us the number. I was amused by how pissed off she was.
The next stop was the local Chevron for some petrol and a couple of Full Throttles. Once inside the Food Mart I noticed that they had no Full Throttles. What the fuck? I headed back out to the truck and noticed another minit mart right across the street. As TJ was still filling up the truck with gas I ran across the street (closer to jogged) and made my way into the minit mart. I'm pretty sure the owner of that there minit mart was/is on something. I grabbed three Full Throttles and placed them on the counter. I was expecting somewhere between five and seven dollars. Here in town they are roughly a buck 79 each. So you can imagine my surprise when the clerk told me eleven bucks. I politely laughed in her face, and left empty-handed.
We headed back out onto the road and drove through Bakersfield and out to the Mojave desert. Two words. Bo Ring. We decided to stop at a rest stop and had a little pep talk with the coach.
We headed back out onto I-15 and immediately pissed off every single trucker around. You see towing a Volkswagen bus on a full sized trailer behind a completely full truck will get you to right around 55 mph. I guess the truckers like driving faster than that (who knew?)
We drove for a couple more hours, arriving in Sin City at 2 in the morning on Friday night. We were so tired that there was no drunken debauchery that night, only a little sleep.
Stay tuned for my Saturday and Sunday morning in Vegas.....

1 comment:

Gus said...

I love the "I was amused at how pissed that made her." Classic.